I recently ran into an issue when installing SRM and thought I’d share. I didn’t get a screenshot, but the error was something like this:
Failed to Initialize – dbmanager could not initialize vdb connection – odbc error
If you click skip from there, it’ll fail to create the tables, and eventually get to the point where you’ll have to roll back.
As it turns out, it was due to a c0mp73x”[email protected]$w0rd! that caused the problem. I’m not sure what characters killed it, but going to a less complex pAs5w0rd worked fine. ODBC worked fine, user & permissions were set up properly, it just came down to SRM not being able to handle the special characters. What’s strange is a similarly complex password works for vCenter.
Hope this helps, have fun out there!
Just hit this myself – suspected password after twiddling with permissions thinking that was the problem. Glad to have it confirmed by someone else experiencing the same problem.. :) Thanks for putting it online.
Hmm, I just found even a more simple but long alpha-numeric password (32 chars) fails. So it’s complexity and length. 16 chars works fine though.
Awesome, glad I’m not the only one! Thanks for the feedback regarding the length, too. I didn’t try a super long one, so I’m not sure what the character limit is.
Still an issue in 6.1.2. Doubt VMware will ever patch this.
Still an issue almost 10 years on in version 8.2 … wasted a day troubleshooting, worked immediately as soon as I used a simple password.