I’m working on importing drivers for Dell’s new 12G servers into our SCCM server for OSD. I got everything imported yesterday, added them to my boot image, created a new boot iso for use in non-PXE enabled networks, and went home for the day.
I get to work today and boot from my ISO I created yesterday and am greeted with the error 80004005, and some nondescript text stating it couldn’t pull a list of tasks. You know, the typical error that you have no idea what it actually means.
I googled it and found 80004005 is “Failed to get client identity”, and some pointed out the time being off may be the cause. I rebooted, BIOS time was maybe 30s off, so I tried again, but exported the smsts.log located in X:\windows\temp\smstslog\ via net use to my workstation. I opened that in SMS Trace, and here’s what I found:
Right there in RED is my error, plain as day, but what wasn’t shown to me in WinPE was the “signature varification failed”. I think it’s worthwhile to note Microsoft misspelled vErification, yup, that’s an A in theirs.
Now, if you google that, I found This Post stating they saw the error after moving their SCCM server to new hardware. We didn’t move to new hardware, we actually went from hardware to virtual, in that we P2V’d our SCCM server last night, which indeed changed the signature of the server.
I updated the boot image’s distribution point, which rebuilds it, then did a refresh for posterity. When that was 100% complete, I recreated the task sequence media boot ISO and all is well again.
Just thought I’d share!