I recently had a requirement to build a script that listed all PST files on some of our DFS folders. I know there are a bunch of ways to get this done, but I wanted to build my own way. Since we needed to search roughly 20 directories, I decided to play with the Start-Job cmdlet so I could have one script to spawn multiple worker processes. At first, it was tricky (since I had never even messed with it), but anyone can easily pick it up.
Archive for February, 2011
Another app I wrote in May of 2006 in VB.Net, apparently my “first” app according to my comments. I’ve written others in VB.net 5.0, 6.0, and 2003 for class, but I guess this was one I actually wrote for a void I needed to fill. I worked in an IT shop dwarfed by the rest of the company. I’m sure several of you have dealt with the politics of upper management viewing IT as a monetary black hole. This was us, wanted us to make everything work, without giving us anything to work with. That’s a whole different rant, though, so I’ll cut to the good parts.
I wrote this app some time in January of 2007 in VB.Net 2003 (maybe 2005). I ran an FTP server on Windows 2003 and could see in the logs where I’d have thousands of failed login attempts, which turned out to be dictionary attacks. I got tired of manually blocking the source IPs and started kicking around ideas around stopping them.